Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Words of Wisdom for New Mothers-to-Be

Being pregnant is such an amazing experience!  It should be thoroughly enjoyed.  All of it (including the crabby, bloated, painful, hormonalcryinghorrible, hard parts).  Even though sometimes it may seem like it will never end, it is over before you know it.



Being a person who looks at the world in a logical way, I started doing my research so I could get an idea of what to expect.  After reading books, blogs, and getting advice from friends and family, I felt fairly confident about my pregnancy...

That is until reality set in.  Take it from me, no matter how much research you do, it is impossible to prepare for what lies ahead.  If you are going to do research, do so with a thick skin.  Most of it scared the crap out of me, raising my already high stress level to new heights.

At the beginning of my pregnancy I would have described myself as strong, confident, completely in control of myself and my surroundings.  That goes right out the window.  You will recognize it when you find yourself crying at the commercials on TV.

Also, no matter how headstrong you might be, learn to accept help.  Accepting help from someone is not a sign of weakness and will save you tremendous backache down the road (especially when you are 8 months pregnant).

Take lots of naps, as many as you can get.  Once the baby arrives you will go almost a whole month without sleeping (especially if it is your first).  Even after that, getting a full nights sleep is something we can only day dream for at least the first 6 months to a year.

Go out on dates with your hubby.  Get a pedicure.  Get your hair done.  Try to do all the things that you love to do but might not get to do once your baby arrives (but use common sense, a pregnant woman should NOT go skydiving....).

Take belly pictures at least once a month or every other week.  It is really neat to look at them later and watch your belly grow.

Keep a journal (or a blog) of your experiences.  Trust me, it will be hilarious down the road to go back and read what you felt like and what you were going through.  This blog is my attempt to share my experiences with other mothers who might be able to avoid the mistakes I made, sympathize with what we are going through, and help me laugh at the hilarity of it all.  After all, laughter is, as they say, the best medicine.  Just don't laugh too hard or you might be running for the bathroom. 

1 comment:

  1. As a new dad it is very insightful to read the thoughts of a new mom. Keep writing so I can get a better idea of what is going on in my wife's head! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading viewer feedback. Should you have any questions for me, please email me directly, I will be happy to help! :-)