Saturday, February 2, 2013

Relief for Low Back Pain While Pregnant

During the last few months of my pregnancy, I had INTENSE pain in my lower back.  I mean bring you to tears and make you cry uncle kind of pain.  Being pregnant, the only thing I could safely take for it was Tylenol, and it didn't even make a dent.  After complaining about it at the doctor's office, the nurse practitioner gave me some things to try at home to get some relief.  They worked like a charm!  This is what she told me to do:

1. Sleep on your left side with a body pillow between your legs.  I'm not sure why this worked, but it helped alleviate some of the pressure when I would try to sleep.

2. Have your significant other massage your back.  I'm not talking a light rub either.  We're talking dig the knuckles in and rub as hard as you can.  Oh it felt oh so goooooooood!  Thank you Eddie.

3.  Do the wonderful exercise the nurse told me to do.  Get down on all fours (making sure there is someone available to help you up if you need it) putting weight on your knees and elbows so your back is tilted down towards your head.  If you can, rest your head on your arms to increase the angle and take tension off your neck. This can be done either on the floor or on your bed.   Keep your knees slightly apart to make you and your belly comfortable.   In this position, slowly rock your hips from left to right. This will stretch out your hips, your lower back, and also help encourage the baby to move up out of the hip area, providing temporary relief.  Oh, and if your significant other walks in the room and starts laughing at you, make him give you a back rub.  :-)

Those are the things that worked for me.  If you found these tips useful, or if you have any further tips, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading viewer feedback. Should you have any questions for me, please email me directly, I will be happy to help! :-)