Saturday, April 20, 2013

Recipe: Cheater's Lasagna

I have been craving lasagna like crazy lately!  Unfortunately, this pregnancy (and my toddler) are both kicking my butt causing me to feel tired all the time.  Needless to say, spending 4 hours making my lasagna is not high on my to do list. 

So, for dinner tonight, on a whim I threw some things together and bam!  Craving satisfied.  It was so good my hubby asked me to put it on my list of things I regularly make.  If that wasn't enough to boost my ego, my toddler couldn't get enough of it.  You can tell when she really likes something if as the fork is coming towards her mouth she opens as wide as she can, then chews her mouthful with a big grin.

Well, here is the recipe I came up with.  Hopefully it is as big of a hit with your family as it was with mine.  Wish I would have taken a before picture, but I will add one later the next time I make it.

Cheater's Lasagna

Prep time: 10 minutes     Cook time: 25 - 30 minutes

Ingredients for 2-ish servings:
1/2 jar 100% Natural Prego Tomato, Onion and Garlic Sauce (at room temperature)
25 frozen raviolis (I use Mona's 5 Cheese Ravioli, yum!)
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

You will also need a 1.5 quart casserole dish (if making more than 2-ish servings go bigger) and a spoon or spatula with holes in it.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Do not drain!
3. Spoon a small amount of sauce on the bottom of your casserole dish, just enough to thinly cover the bottom.
4. When the ravioli is finished cooking, remove from heat. 
5. Take your spoon or spatula with holes in it and carefully pull them out one at a time, allowing water to drain from the spoon/spatula.  (Yes, it is more time consuming to do it this way, but if you drain the water not only do you run the risk of hurting the raviolis, but they also tend to stick together if left to sit for too long.)  Do this until you have a single layer of ravioli on the bottom of your casserole dish.
6. Spoon a small amount of sauce over each ravioli.
7. Lightly sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the pasta (lightly, you will want to save the majority of it for the top).
8. Repeat steps 5 through 7 until you have used up all the ravioli (I got about 3 layers).
9. Once all the ravioli are used, spoon a generous amount of sauce over each ravioli.
10. Use the remaining mozzarella cheese on the top (I had about 2 oz left so I had a nice layer of cheesy goodness on top).
11. Last, sprinkle your parmesan cheese on the mozzarella.
12. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.  You will know it is done when the sauce starts bubbling along the edges.

Lastly, enjoy! 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading viewer feedback. Should you have any questions for me, please email me directly, I will be happy to help! :-)